Sunday, October 7, 2012

Atlanta, GA (Buckhead) #5

It was 9/20/2012, My daughter & I had a mid afternoon appointment in Buckhead so I decided to make the best of the day since I was missing work & she was missing school. I was able to plan to stop at the Buckhead Coalition for a guide book. It's only $5, it has 128 full color & glossy and it's a cool guide to have if you really want to take in a city.


First stop: The Governor's Mansion

Uh huh you guessed it, me and my daughter with.....Mrs. Deal, the Governors wife. That was a bonus to an already good morning. She was incredibly nice and so friendly. She made my tween daughter perk up and actually the whole tour and knowledge of the docents aided to my daughter being able to say that she liked the tour. The tour is FREE and available on Tues, Wed & Thurs from 10:00-11:30 am.













We then walked down Peachtree Rd and just took in the sights and the hustle of Atlanta's Financial District.
My daughter had never seen so many people dressed up to go to work. She was really shocked, I'm blessed by having a work at home position where I can literally work in my pj's (and some days I really do). My husband is self employed and he doesn't have to get dressed up either.














Before the appointment we stopped and had lunch at the 1st Moe's on Earth!

At 2915 Peachtree Rd NE store #0101

And....it was FREE Queso Day, Boo-yah! 
It was really cool inside and of course the food was huge, delicious & filling.




                      __________________
Buckhead's History

Henry Irby, a general store & tavern owner founded a community called Buckhead in 1837. He owned the northwest corner of West Paces Ferry & Roswell Rd until his death in 1879.

Irby himself is believed to have provided the name for this community by killing a deer and mounting the "buck head" so travelers could see it in his tavern.

Six hundred & fifty dollars is what the intersection of Peachtree, Roswell & West Paces Ferry sold for in 1838. It was a total of 202.5 acres.

The Battle of Peach Tree Creek lasted roughly 90 mins and it's noted to have been the beginning of the end for the Confederacy. On July 18, 1864, Confederate soldiers were able to stop Union soldiers from advancing to Atlanta. But just two days later on the July 20th the Union soldiers crossed over Peach Tree Creek after an estimated 5,000 soldiers were killed.

One doctor, one carpenter, one lawyer, one blacksmith, eight laborers and fifty eight farmers were the only heads of households in Buckhead in 1850.

Ransom kidnapping didn't effect Atlanta until July 6th, 1933. On this day, John Ottley, a buckhead resident was kidnapped leaving his home and held on a $40,000 ransom. Ottley was able to persuade one of the kidnappers (a 17 yr old boy that he recognized) to release him. The 2nd kidnapper was sentenced to 21 to 28 yrs in prison

Year of 1959, brought in Lenox Mall. It was dubbed "the largest regional shopping center south of New York".

             _________________________

Other Points of Interest: Atlanta History Center, Phipps Plaza, Miami Circle, Buckhead info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by blog. Feedback is an awesome way to let me know what you think of it. Do you have a suggestion of where I should visit soon? Do you have an interesting fact or site for a city that I've already visited?

Feedback is